[CentOS] serial port in linux

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri May 2 11:07:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:00 AM, gopinath <gopinath at signal-networks.com> wrote:

>             i have centos 4.2.

Okay, your first task is to run 'yum update' immediately. CentOS 4.2
is nearly 3 years out of date, and with proper updates would be at 4.6
right now.

I have install a PCI card having serial port.
> when the os is booted it detects the new hardware ( serial port) .a device
> is also created /dev/ttyS0. the port works very goog on the same pc in
> windows XP. but when i connect any serial device to that port in linux it
> does not work.

What are you using to talk to the serial port. How are you attempting
to use it?

> please help me out is there any extra configuration to be done.

You're telling us there's a problem but you're not telling us what the
problem is.

Are you sure you're using the right /dev/ttyS* value for the port?
What are you connecting to the port that's not communicating properly?

What errors are you getting with what you're trying to do?

George Orwell