[CentOS] Watching Netflix movies on CentOS

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Sun May 4 16:37:42 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008, Matt Shields wrote:
>On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Kevin Krieser <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>  Apparently the problem with the Mac is the DRM again.  The studios are
>> apparently all worried that people will keep copies of the old TV shows and
>> movies downloaded.
>>
>>  I have an old Mac Mini that I would like to use to watch some Netflix shows
>> on (better than sitting in front of a computer, or watching it on a small
>> laptop), but until it is supported I can't.  The Mini is hooked up to my TV
>> directly.
>
>Quicktime absolutely supports DRM, so what's the problem?  It's a
>cheap company that's looking to get the most bang for the littlest
>buck.  It wouldn't have taken much to have their system ask for the
>users choice of player (WMP or QT), so the other remaining issue is
>time to convert films to digital format and storage.  Since the
>conversion is probably automated it shouldn't have taken that much
>extra time.  So the only issue is disk space, which means that Netflix
>was too cheap to spend the extra money to store a QT version of the
>films so they could get the Mac users.  From what I remember of the
>Netflix downloads they were looking for a cheap way to get ahead of
>Blockbuster.  They looked good, but they did as little as possible,
>which included a limited availability of movies.

Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible with video
stuff), Macs have no problem viewing Windows media play files
using the free flip4mac program.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

A man who would consider himself a bandit if, pistol in hand, he
prevented me from carrying out a transaction that was in conformity with
my interests has no scruples in working and voting for a law that replaces
his private force with the public force and subjects me, at my own
expense, to the same unjust restrictions. -- Bastiat, Frederic, Harmonies