[CentOS] I need storage server advice

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Wed May 7 03:38:10 UTC 2008

Yes, though slammed hardware RAID a bit. Software RAID has it's place don't
get me wrong, it's just knowing when and where.

Now the problem I have with your approach under the OP's
requirements is the only way to fit that kinda storage over that long a
period is with external enclosures and there isn't many systems that have external 4 lane serial storage
connectors builtin, so one needs a card that can perform that and if you are shopping for a card to do that
then you might as well get one for a few $100 more that has on board RAID. Also if the OP wanted to switch
distro's he will not have to worry about losing the RAID configuration or hosing it in the process.

-Ross