Subject: [CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:04:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:

>  I would always use locate for that task, much faster, much easier.

Not being familiar with 'locate,' I found its man page rather
intimidating at first glance.  I'll have to study it a little more
carefully, but I should also note that I ran locate to find my kernel
rpms and was unsuccessful (whereas, though slow, I did find them with
'find').

All else aside, I can't count the number of times I've had my head
handed to me right here on this list for failing to look something up
before asking about it.  I'll admit that 'find' can be hard to get
used to, but if you don't look, you can't tell how much good it can do
(or how complex a man page can get :-).  'Man rpm' is ugly, but it's
one you just have to get to learn about.  (Info is not much better,
and it's harder to use.)

Just my $0.02....

mhr