[CentOS] can't get Tomcat5 to work on centos 5.1, how do I get it to work?

Rudi Ahlers

Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu May 8 22:00:55 UTC 2008

Hi all

A client of ours wants Tomcat 5 to be installed on a CentOS 5 server, I
naturally just ran "yum -y install tomcat5 tomcat5-webapps
tomcat5-admin-webapps" which installed it without any errors. Then I
typed in service tomcat5 start, and tries to access it as such "lynx
http://localhost:8080/" but keep on getting an error "connection refused"

[root at vps06 /]# service tomcat5 start
Starting tomcat5: lock file found but no process running for
pid 19684, continuing
                                                           [  OK  ]

I don't see any tomcat errors in /var/log/messages but get this:

[root at vps06 /]# tail -f /var/log/tomcat5/catalina.out
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(catalina-5.5.23.jar.sonuy1u1.so)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(catalina-5.5.23.jar.sonuy1u1.so)
   at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(catalina-5.5.23.jar.sonuy1u1.so)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(libgcj.so.7rh)
   ...2 more
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Cannot create
additional threads
   at java.lang.Thread.start(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at java.lang.Runtime.runShutdownHooks(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at java.lang.Runtime.exitNoChecks(libgcj.so.7rh)
   at java.lang.Runtime.exitNoChecksAccessor(libgcj.so.7rh)

I don't know Tomcat at all.

Can someone please help me with this?

--

Kind Regards