[CentOS] "yum update" did not update kernel on one box

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:50:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 01:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
<snip>
> No, surely not. Windows installs only to one partition, the one you selected
> for installation. The other three are only NTFS partitions and can be used by
> Windows, but unless your wife installs something on them or puts data on them
> they are empty. Anyway, it's not a problem.

Kai: What you describe above is how it works on my box, my daughters box
and on previous installations of MS Windows I"ve done. I always have
four (4) partitions for Windows: C (Windows), D (Programs), E (Data) and
F (Swap/Temp). Something went terribly wrong, when I installed on my
wife's box and when it boots, at the Grub screen, if one selects
"Windows", then one gets a Microsoft screen with four (4) options and
one of those is selected to run Windows XP. On our other  Desktops,
selecting "Windows" at the Grub menu starts Windows XP booting. It
appears that those four (4) options are all installations of Windows XP.
The second one is the one that works properly.

I will reply to the things you asked about, in your last post to me,
ASAP, when her box is available to me and give you whatever additional
data I can find. TIA, Lanny