[CentOS] rsync - set owner and group?

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Fri May 9 14:44:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to force rsync to set a specific owner and group on
> destination files?  I have managed to get the permissions set up the
> way I want, but the owner and group are still defaulting to a numeric
> id instead of the correct owner and group.

Do your user and group names on both your source and destination
systems have matching numeric values?

Linux/UNIX systems carry the numeric values and look up the text
values in /etc/passwd and /etc/group for display.   If you are seeing
numeric values, that would imply there are no matching entries in
those files.

If you adjust your numeric values for the owner and group to match on
source and destination systems, your systems will match up.

Brett