[CentOS] tar spanning

Simon Jolle sjolle urandomdev at gmail.com
Thu May 15 20:31:23 UTC 2008

On 05/15/2008 05:27 AM, Nick Fenwick wrote:
> For what it's worth, I usually use rar for this task, because I can
> figure out the command line in about 10 seconds by running 'rar' with no
> arguments and check the help output, and they confuse my Windows-y
> friends less if I need to pass them around.  Install rar from rpmforge.

I admit RAR is a file archiver that archives with very high compression
ratios and is very popular in windows world.

But is proprietary software (not Open Source).

I recommend you using 7zip[0] currently leader in high compression on
unix-like systems.

> To split a directory of files into roughly 700Mb bits:
>
> rar a -v700000k rarname_to_create.rar dir_of_files

7za a -v700m rarname_to_create.rar dir_of_files

Pre-packaged RPM is available at RPMforge[1]

> I recently wanted to split a large .iso of already highly compressed
> data into chunks that would fit on a FAT32 filesystem, so this is with
> no compression:
>
> rar a -v700000k -m0 rarname_to_create.rar dir_of_files
>
> I just noticed that Fajar beat me to quoting google hits relating to
> 'tar | split' so I'll hold off doing the same :)
>
> Nick

cheers
Simon

[0] http://www.7-zip.org/