[CentOS] clustered mail server?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat May 17 23:13:26 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Sorry guys, I want to stick with a SMTP / IMAP / POP3 server, not
> webmail. I'll be using Horde for webmail as well though

there are two general classes of clustered systems, high availability,
and high performance.

HA clusters are usually active/standby, and might use stuff like
heartbeat, drbd, etc.

HP clusters are either load balanced, or active/active...  Things that
demand ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) like
databases, mail servers are very complex to cluster this way on a
active/active (aka multimaster) environment while maintaining the
integrity and a reasonable performance.  just implementing load
balancing does not by itself provide any redundancy in case of component
failure.   A simple load balancing scenario for a mail server might be
having one server to handle all internet mail incoming and outgoing,
while another server handles local users reading their mail (eg, pop or
imap)

its best to define your requirements and expectations before diving into
these waters, as clusters can be far more complex and intricate to
configure and administrate than discrete systems.

re: mail servers specifically, there are two seperate classes of storage
that would need replication...  One is the mail spools and queues as
used by the MTA (postfix, sendmail, etc), and the other are the user
mail folder(s) as used by the local delivery agent (procmail or
whattever), and read by the mail client (pop, imap).