[CentOS] clustered mail server?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Sun May 18 06:10:18 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>
>>> re: mail servers specifically, there are two seperate classes of
>>> storage that would need replication...  One is the mail spools and
>>> queues as used by the MTA (postfix, sendmail, etc), and the other
>>> are the user mail folder(s) as used by the local delivery agent
>>> (procmail or whattever), and read by the mail client (pop, imap).
>>
>> No, mail spools/queues do not need replication. Stuff in the queue
>> are usually deleted in a second and such dynamic change is not worth
>> replicating. If you do put the queue on a distributed filesystem, in
>> most cases you cannot have more than one instance running save for
>> sendmail.
>>

> outbound mail can sit in queues retrying for hours negotiating their
> way into the greylists of the likes of Yahoo.    I guess if you don't
> mind the possibility of messages getting lost around a server failure
> event, then its no big deal, for sure.

No, I'm not concerned about outbound mail. Chances are if the server's
HDD has crashed, the email will either still be on the user's PC, or on
the 2nd server. Or if it's not the HDD, then the email will be sent once
the server is back online again.

I'm concerned about mail storage, since the server & USB HDD is the only
backups. The users PC's isn't being backed up, everything on the LAN
resides on the two servers, and one of the two servers backup to a USB
HDD every night

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers