[CentOS] Re: tar spanning

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:49:03 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:

>> she gets the best of both worlds, it maintains copies of her folders
>> locally AND on the gmail server, and synchronizes each time she connects
>> so that she can look up stuff in her email when she's offline.
>>
>> the imap 'folders' she creates in windows mail are in fact filters on gmail.
>
> I use IMAP for Gmail, as Google recommends,  with the Evolution MUA. The
> "filters" and "labels" that Gmail uses are not working as I would like
> them to. Possibly with time, I will improve on those settings.  After I
> download my email into Evolution, I manually move all the CentOS mail
> into the CentOS "label". After that, things are organized. :-)    IMAP
> is much better than POP3, for a number of reasons, as Google says.

If you have a suitable server where you can park your IMAP folders you
can get the best of everything by using fetchmail to grab mail via POP
from gmail and deliver to your local IMAP folders.  This gives you a
chance to filter with procmail on the way in and your email client(s)
can manipulate the folders quickly.  If you configure gmail to 'archive'
a copy as you download with POP, you can delete your local copy after
reading it but still go back with gmail's web interface and find it with
their excellent search facility later.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com