[CentOS] clustered mail server?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun May 18 19:10:33 UTC 2008

Christopher Chan wrote:
> No, mail spools/queues do not need replication. Stuff in the queue are
> usually deleted in a second and such dynamic change is not worth
> replicating. If you do put the queue on a distributed filesystem, in
> most cases you cannot have more than one instance running save for
> sendmail.

I think your statement here is flawed, in that if there is even a single
bit of the process you dont replicate - you've already lost the HA game.

Besides, as John already pointed out, emails in the spools can hang
around for days. I believe most MTA's only discard completely after
7days of non delivery.

the OP is taking about DRBD in a primary-> secondary setup, in which
case, there wont be a clustered filesystem on the block device, and
there will only really be one instance of the real app running.