[CentOS] Re: OT: Top Posting

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon May 19 22:00:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:53:50PM -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 5-16-2008 8:14 AM Carol Anne Ogdin spake the following:
>> Dear Mr. Singh:
>>
>> I understand you prefer this medium.  I have practical experience with
>> alternatives that have offered measurable and definite benefits to the
>> communities they serve.
>>
>> Your opinions are louder than your putative experience.  Unfortunately, in
>> 51 years in the computer industry, I've sometimes had to cope with behaviors
>> like yours.  It still makes me sad to experience such unhappy people who
>> think that attack is the best way to enrich a collaboration.
>
> So 51 years ago you had to be working on either Univac or a CDC 1604. There
> wasn't much else around in 1957. Digital had just opened and hadn't
> produced a system yet, so Sperry Rand and the new kids CDC were about it.

Someone around for 10 years much less 51 years would know that
Karanbir's style of communication should be considered "blunt" and not
offensive.  It's a common style of communication for developers.  I
never take it personally...

I read an interesting take on "why" once.  Can't remember the link
though... nerds need to remember that normal folk appreciate niceities
in conversation, and normal folk need to remember that nerds are often
very blunt but aren't really trying to be offensive.

And for the record, top posting is evil (but ubiquitous thanks to MS
Outlook and friends) and I much prefer mailing lists to forums. :)

Ray