[CentOS] COBOL

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed May 21 19:40:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008, Scott Nelson wrote:
>On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 13:47 -0500, Michael wrote:
>>Just curious, maybe some old timers could help me out. I am working
>>with
>>a company that is migrating 20 years of Mainframe Software Development
>>to Unix, HPUX. How much harder would it be to go to Linux, Centos
>>Linux?
>
>Probably not hard at all -- I can't imagine a cobol compiler/runtime/
>executable needing anything in HP/UX that isn't in Centos (or any
>other Linux for that matter).  The bigger problem is getting the COBOL
>vendor to port to the version of Linux you want, Centos in this case.
>
>>[...] anyone have any experience with Fujitsu Cobol on Centos?
>
>I have not, but we do use AcuCOBOL version 4 from AcuCorp which was
>recently bought by MicroFocus (they are up to version 8 now:
>http://www.microfocus.com/products/extend/ )

It's been years since I did serious work on COBOL, originally on
Burroughs Medium Systems, then Ryan McFarland, and most recently
Microfocus.  The biggest problems I have seen recently with COBOL
run times is that they were built on old libc5 with calls to
errno which broke on recent versions of CentOS, and SuSE Linux
Enterprise 9/10.  The workaround on these was a couple of lines
in the startup scripts:

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

But how is this legal plunder to be identified? Quite simply. See if the
law takes from some persons what belongs to them, and gives it to other
persons to whom it does not belong. See if the law benefits one citizen at
the expense of another by doing what the citizen himself cannot do without
committing a crime. -- Frederic Bastiat, The Law