[CentOS] XFS + LVM

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu May 22 05:30:23 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Alain Terriault, Mr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see old post on the web discouraging the use of XFS on top of LVM,
> mostly seems to be driver problems .. in any case it was not reassuring.
>
> I was wondering, with current drivers and kernels (CentOS5), if they are
> any issue doing so.
>
> I have no real need for LVM, I am just use to it and occasionally found
> it useful.
>
> It is my first time building a 12T partition and for my usage I think
> XFS seems to be the way to go.
> It will mostly be use for uncompress audio storage.
>
> Any comments will be more than welcome,

sure, here you go:

1) don't hijack threads, use "new", not "reply" when starting a thread

2) we have many servers with XFS on LVM, works fine

3) as Jim said, use x86_64 due to the 4K stack issue with i386. Also use the
kmod-xfs from extras with the normal kernel, don't rebuild or change your
kernel for no reason.

4) depending on what you have under you may see performance some performance
drops with LVM (compared to say a partition-table of GPT type) due to the
fact that LVM splits stuff into page size chunks (4K typically).

5) when setting read-ahead (important for seq. read performance) then remember
to set it on the lv device, not the pv device.

/Peter