[CentOS] IPTables help

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Fri May 23 15:03:58 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30:29 Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have a dual homed server in an install for someone who is very cost
> sensitive. This server originally is being setup as an Asterisk server, but
> now the simplest thing for me to do is also set it up to provide internet
> access for the small shop as well.
>
> So it will have one external, WAN  facing nic that needs all incoming ports
> except UDP 5060 and 10000 -> 60000 blocked for all but two ips.
>
> The internal, LAN facing  NIC will need all ports except voip/dns/http
> blocked to it, and need to provide masquerading.
>
> I have limited experience with iptables and would love some guidelines. Any
> pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Hi JLC,
There are 2 ways to implement firewall: negative list and positive list. Looks
like you want a very strict one that is positive list.

Assuming eth0 is WAN, and eth1 is LAN (assuming 192.168.0.0/24)(please mind
the word wrap):
#Clear all rules and policies first:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F

#Give access for localhost:
iptables -I INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -I OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

#To make life easier:
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

#Allowing needed ports:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -m multiport -p udp --dport 5060,10000:60000 -s
ipthatyouwantallow -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -m multiport -p udp --dport
53,80,5060,10000:60000 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m multiport -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m multiport -p udp --dport 53,5060,10000:60000 -s
ipthatyouallow -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m multiport -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

#For masquerading:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -d ! 192.168.0.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

#For logging (troubleshooting):
iptables -A INPUT -m limit --limit 2/m --limit-burst 2 -j LOG --log-prefix '**
INPUT DROP ** '
iptables -A FORWARD -m limit --limit 2/m --limit-burst 2 -j
LOG --log-prefix '** FORWARD DROP ** '
iptables -A OUTPUT -m limit --limit 2/m --limit-burst 2 -j
LOG --log-prefix '** OUTPUT DROP ** '

#Finally dropping all other traffic (positive list firewall):
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP

#Don't forget to save it:
service iptables save

I might make some mistakes up there, so the logging is very important. You can
just monitor the log file: tail -f /var/log/messages and look for any miss
ports and open them.

If for some reason you want to clear the iptables, run this command:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F
iptables -t nat -F
service iptables save

Goodluck,
http://linux2.arinet.org
22:03:54 up 2:37, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.