[CentOS] More recent GDE on CentOS 5+

MHR

mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri May 23 19:00:41 UTC 2008

I have not had any success building a more recent version of GDE than
2.16.0 on CentOS.

I tried jhbuild, and went line by line using the how-to web page for
jhbuild (http://www.gnome.org/~jamesh/jhbuild.html), and I get hung up
on dbus-glib-l (which does not appear to be in CentOS or available for
it, at least from base, updates, extras, KB & rpmforge).  Garnome is
another possibility that I haven't looked at yet 'cuz jhbuild is
supposed to be easy and fully automated (it might be, if everything it
needs is already there, but it doesn't tell you up front what that
means or how to get it or ...).

Gnome "says" we should use the GDE that ships with our distribution,
but RH (CentOS) has to oldest revision available.  To get a newer one,
the Gnome people recommend building my own.

Has anyone tried this successfully?  How?

Thanks.

mhr