[CentOS] resizing partition

Al Sparks

data345 at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 00:47:08 UTC 2008

I'm going to have to resize a partition (shrink it) to make room for
more swap space.  This is actually not too big of a deal, since we're
not talking about a "system" partition (/, /var, /usr, etc), but one
where an application resides.  So I won't even have to go to "rescue"
mode to do this.  I can umount this thing live. (and since I'm working
on it remotely, that's important).

But this system was not configured with LVM.  So it occurs to me, that
in dealing with a non-LVM partition(s), if the swap space I want to
enlarge isn't next to the partition I shrink, my options would be to:

1.  Manually "move" the other partitions, probably very risky

2.  Simply make a second swap space that's next to the partition I
shrink.

Have I got the right idea?
   === Al