[CentOS] how to debug ssh slow connection issues.

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Sun May 25 18:16:40 UTC 2008

Jason Pyeron wrote:

> [...]

 From the earlier posts, it appears that your DNS server is not properly
resolving the REVERSE addresses, i.e. IP address-to-hostname.  SSH does
a reverse lookup, trying to resolve the IP address to a hostname, unless
you set the "UseDNS" option to "no".

Until you fix your DNS server to properly resolve the reverse addresses
for your network you will continue to have this issue.  Having gone down
this road myself, it's not as hard as it sounds.  Just having a
nameserver resolve your local FORWARD zone won't cut it, you have to
have the REVERSE zone set up too.

In my example, I have a local network named "local" (how original!) and
use the 192.168.1.0/24 address range.  The nameserver I use (Bind 9 on a
CentOS box) is configured mostly as a caching nameserver but resolves
two local domains, "local" and "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa".  All of the
name-to-ip entries ("A" records) and aliases ("CNAME" records) are in
the "local" zone, all of the ip-to-name entries ("PTR" records) are in
the "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" zone.

If this is mostly gibberish, it might be a good idea to brush up a bit
on using the bind nameserver, there are several useful tutorials
available on the web, a quick Google search will turn up several.  The
best reference I can recommend is "DNS and Bind" by Paul Abniz and
Cricket Liu, published by O'Reilly.  There's a good combination of
theory and practice in that book, but it is a daunting read for a newbie.

Just my $.02!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com