[CentOS] How is this possible?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sun May 25 20:44:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org> wrote:
> just my 1st and last warning: if you break your setup don't come complaining
> here :)

I presume you mean my GNOME setup, and yes, I know - there are
instructions on both jhbuild and garnome on how to avoid that.
Hopefully they are more effective that the build instructions.... )-;

> The error message is quite clear.
> you are running a 64 bits CentOS-5 machine and you are trying to
> link a 64 bits objects with a 32 bits shared lib.

Actually, I respectfully disagree - the message is far too vague,
although the implication may not be.

However, that raises another question:  why does the build (either
one) not know the machine architecture on which it is running and
therefore detect the proper library to which to link?

Or do I have to fake it by replacing the links in /usr/lib with those
from /usr/lib64?

IOW: how do I (or does anyone) build GNOME (or even just dbus-glib) on
a 64-bit platform?

> good luck.

Thanks.

mhr