[CentOS] Existenial doubt about Xen and LVMs

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Mon May 26 17:46:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 12:38 -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a Dom0 with LVMs. Also, I have 2 DomU's. What happen with DomU
> partitions if I resize Dom0 volumes? They changes of size too?

So, your domUs are installed in LVs?  Well, think about the domU as if
it's a real machine: if the HD changes size, you have to change the
partitions and LVs in order to see that change.

For example, if you increase the size of the dom0 LV the domU is
installed in, you have to:

1. increase the partition size of /dev/xvda in the domU
2. increase the PV size in the domU (unless you create a new PV on a
   new partition created from the bigger /dev/xvda)
3. increase the size of the VG in the domU
4. add space to those LVs in the domU you want the
   additional /dev/xvda/ space to go to.

It's really easy to do the above, but you'll need to reboot your domU
every time you change the partition table for its "HD" (i.e. /dev/xvda).

HTH,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu