[CentOS] smp falls back to up mode on quad core

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue May 27 21:29:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:41 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> Julian Echave wrote:
>>
>> Sure, find below, I add other stuff as well. Note that there is some bug
>> in the Bios. This does not prevent Centos to boot, and, since Windows sees
>> all four processors, I reckon it shouldn't be the problem...?
>

> yeah, looks like its probably broken ACPI data in the BIOS.  see if the
> mainboard or system vendor has a BIOS update to fix this.   just because
> operating system "X" works, doesn't mean its 'right'.

You can try adding 'noacpi' to your boot string in your grub.conf file
and see if that helps.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 x2 on an ECS mobo that is known to have a
problem with acpi.  If I try to run without the noacpi switch, it runs
very poorly and crashes or halts within minutes of booting, if it
boots at all.  With the flag, it runs smooth as silk.

mhr