[CentOS] Fault tolerance with webservers

Ross Cavanagh ross-cavanagh at bm-sms.co.jp
Wed May 28 00:26:14 UTC 2008

sbeam wrote:
> Interested in this discussion too, for reasons recently discussed...
>
> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 09:07, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
>
>> For a starter, there is a very simple tool for this.
>> It's http://www.inlab.de/balance.html
>>

>> 2. RedHat Cluster Suite dan Piranha (http://www.redhat.com)
>> 3. Linux Virtual Server (http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org)
>>

> Do all of these (or IPVS or Cluster Suite/GFS) take care of real-time sharing
> of storage (sessions, database, files, logs) between all nodes? For a LAMP or
> JEE or any other HTTP stack serving anything but readonly static files, this
> is usually a requirement.
>
> GFS is for sharing filesystem I know and there are howtos. So would you put
> Balance or LVS on top of GFS, or...
>
> Would HA/DRBD be on the short list? http://www.drbd.org/ in our case we have a
> two-node cluster anyway so this seems like the most straightforward option.
> Or would something else be superior, more up-to-date?
>
> Sam
I think for a two nodes with real time storage sharing heartbeat / drbd
would offer what you want. There's a pretty simple how to on the centos
wiki to get you up and running.

I've not really used the RedHat cluster suite, but I 'think' it can
offer a similar solution.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Ha-Drbd

-Ross-