[CentOS] Re: memorial day kernel panic

Peter Hinse loco at d0pefish.de
Wed May 28 07:22:42 UTC 2008

William L. Maltby wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 14:24 -0400, sbeam wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 13:16, Miguel Medalha wrote:
>>> Some Tyan boards are known as being very picky with RAM. If you want to
>>> avoid problems, you should really stick to the types listed in Tyan's
>>> memory compatibility list.
>> hmm. well the spec sheet just says "unbuffered DDR 266/200" and that is what
>> we got. I never noticed there was a list of "recommended" memory, but your
>> comment made me look and I found one. PQI is not on the list :(
>>
>> But... we had a similar system with the same mobo and ram stick - only one
>> 512M, not 2x1G like these - that was running for years with nary a hiccup
>> until the disks died. The one we are having problems with was its
>> upgrade/replacement. Maybe this is a problem though.
>
> I recently had a problem upgrading to 2x1GB PC3200 (> DDR 400) in one of
> my home units. Ultimate solution: tweaked the DRAM voltage to 2.7 volts.
> Took a long time because I didn't want to fry the DIMMS and there were
> no specs anywhere that specified the voltage.

We faced a similar situation lately (however, on a fedora system). After
swapping each and every part of the hardware, we found some USB
temperature sensors and their kernel drivers to be the source of all
problems. After unplugging the USB devices and unloading the kernel
modules, the machine runs without any problems.

Regards,

	Peter