[CentOS] FireFox

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu May 29 21:55:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 13:09 +0200, Bernhard Gschaider wrote:
> <snip>

>     WLM> I chose not to uninstall the distributed one. I unpackaed the
>     WLM> 3.0rc1 tarball in the $HOME of a user and run it from there.
>
>     <snipped recipe>
>
>     WLM> This lets all other users get the box-stock version while I
>     WLM> test the new one. So far it's looking pretty good.
>
> Question: if I do this, will I be able to move back to the
> stock-1.5-version without problems. In other words: is the stuff like
> bookmarks, history etc that is written to disk backward-compatible?

Last time I did something like this was with the beta 5 release. In that
case I removed the box version and installed globally. Going that
direction, the per-user config files seemed to hold as normal. Once I
discovered that the needed Java app wouldn't work, I uninstalled the
beta, reinstalled box-stock.

Again, no config issues.

Before everybody beats me like a rented mule, there was no risk to other
users - I'm it, just with different logons. So I felt comfortable with
picking up the pieces if it broke and did not grab one of my other
machines for testing.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--