[CentOS] CentOS-Samba question

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat May 31 18:56:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher at ias.com.hk> wrote:
>>
>> Try adding 'guest ok = yes' to the printer share configuration.
>>
> I will - thanks.

I did - no change.

>> ...I think you need to pick a bit more on Windows networking...more reading
>> of the books/documentation provided with samba should help.

Okay, I went through the Samba Guide at
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba.  I read chapters 1, 2 & 3
fairly thoroughly, and I'm going through 12 (troubleshooting) now.
One small problem is that this is for Samba 2.2 and I'm on 3.0.25.  Be
that as it may....

Let me start up front with this: both Windows boots can ping the
CentOS Samba Server.  Neither one can see it in their M$ Network.

I went through chapter 3 step by step for both the W98 and WXP boots,
and I can't see my C5.1 from W98 at all, and I can't see anything
that's on the C5.1 from WXP.

I started going through the troubleshooting chapter, and I got up to
this point with W98:

'net use * \\mhrichter\tmp' hangs for about a minute, then comes back
with an Error 59 - unknown error.

In the log, I see this (I did it twice):

[root at mhrichter samba]# cat mhrichter.log
[2008/05/31 10:54:03, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(1033)
  mhrichter (192.168.0.100) connect to service tmp initially as user
nobody (uid=99, gid=99) (pid 19903)
[2008/05/31 10:54:07, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(1230)
  mhrichter (192.168.0.100) closed connection to service tmp
[root at mhrichter samba]# grep nobody /etc/passwd
nobody:x:99:99:Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin
nfsnobody:x:4294967294:4294967294:Anonymous NFS User:/var/lib/nfs:/sbin/nologin
[root at mhrichter samba]#

In case you don't remember, the tmp share is configured thus:

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

So, in theory, anyone should be able to see it, read and write to it,
etc.  (Yes, I know there's a potential space problem here, but these
machines are all on a private subnet, I'm the only one who has a clue
how to really make use of them, and there's about 35GB left on /,
including /tmp.)

This particular problem is not addressed in the guide, so I'm stuck (again).

I'll be trying the WXP boot in a few minutes, where my logon /should/
work (but doesn't) and I'll see what turns up in the log for that.

But, in the mean time, any ideas?

Thanks.

mhr