[CentOS] nfs and permissions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 5 10:46:15 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 23:41:17 Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My CentOS box is my server for data and some services, including nfs
> > shares. On my laptop I have folderviews displaying two directories
> > on the server, via nfs mounts. An fstab line mounts each, such as:
> >
> > 192.168.0.40:/home /mnt/borg2_home nfs nosuid,exec,rw,bg,soft,intr 0 0
>
> OT: The "soft" and "intr" options don't go together. The latter is
> only valid when the filesystem is hard-mounted. (This, of course, has
> nothing to do with your problem. :-)
>
> > From the folderview I have no problem accessing the files and
> > directories.
> >
> > Now comes the problem. I use kontact, with imap mail (working fine)
> > and a calendar/diary (korganizer) mounted as a remote file. At
> > least, I did, until this new install. I can give it the path, but I
> > don't see any entries. I suspect that it is a permissions problem,
> > but I can't see anything obvious.
>
> If you launch korganizer from the command line (that is, not via your
> GUI menus), are there any meaningful error messages?

Hi, Paul.  Thanks for answering.  I finally found the problem.  Keychain was
not initialising because the permissions on ~/.ssh/id* were too loose.
Sometimes it takes the brain a while to register things.  In the wee small
hours I suddenly realised I was not being asked for the passphrase at login
:-)

Anne