[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 and Bacula

Jun Salen nokijun at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 06:03:45 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 21:26, Jun Salen wrote:
> > Between Bacula and Backuppc, based on list users experience, which is better
> to use? I intend
> > to backup both Windows and Linux server. Can I use this to backup my linux
> mail server with
> > Zimbra services shutdown? Can I use this to backup windows server machine
> without using Samba
> > or it is the only way to go. I intend to read manual of these two when I got
> my machine to test, for a
> > while maybe I can get some insight from those who have already experience
> using these tools.
>
> You can do all that with both tools.
>
> Bacula is tape oriented, so if you're backing up to tape it's going to
> be the tool for you. It also supports backing up to disk, but it backs
> up to disk as if it was a tape (a set of tapes, actually) which is
> kind of awkward. In my opinion, Bacula's user interface is kind of
> weird too.
>
> Backuppc backs up to disk only, but it has a great advantage that it
> finds duplicate files and uses hardlinks to reduce storage usage, so
> it can usually back up much more data than Bacula in the same space.
> Another advantage of Backuppc is that it backs up using rsync or tar
> over ssh or smbtar for Windows, so in general you don't need to
> install an agent on the client machines. It's web interface is also
> very good.
>
> So, you should choose mainly based on the media you're using for backups.
>
> IMHO, if you still use tapes, forget the past and move to the future
> of disk-based backups, and adopt Backuppc as your tool.
>
> HTH,
> Filipe

Hi Filipe,

Thanks for giving me insights. I have HP StorageWorks D2D2500 machine on the way, I wonder if I can put CentOS on the machine then putting Backuppc after or the machine is already ready to use without needing additional software to install. I will read included manual when I get it although I am sure that it is available from HP site. I just do not have time yet to read it. Again thanks.

Jun S.

      New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!