[CentOS] Where is the file that sets aliases?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Nov 8 22:26:51 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 08 November 2008 20:38:43 William L. Maltby wrote:
>
>> /etc/bashrc
>>
>> But be aware that root-specific ones are here on 5.x
>>
>> # grep alias .bashrc
>> # User specific aliases and functions
>> alias rm='rm -i'
>> alias cp='cp -i'
>> alias mv='mv -i'
>>

> I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why I can't find these

bash runs...

    /etc/profile
    /etc/bashrc
and
    $HOME/.bash_profile
or
    $HOME/.bash_login
or
    $HOME/.profile

upon starting a login shell...

the standard supplied profiles by default also run

    /etc/profile.d/*.sh
    $HOME/.bashrc

and this last runs

    /etc/bashrc

I note that the commands you're seeing are aliased explicitly in

    /root/.bashrc

        [root at freescruz ~]# cat /root/.bashrc
        # .bashrc

        # User specific aliases and functions

        alias rm='rm -i'
        alias cp='cp -i'
        alias mv='mv -i'

        # Source global definitions
        if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
                . /etc/bashrc
        fi

by default in most every RH system I checked, from the above CentOS 5
all the way back to RH Linux 6.2

[root at hogranch /root]# ls -la .bashrc
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          176 Aug 23  1995 .bashrc
[root at hogranch /root]# rpm -qf .bashrc
rootfiles-5.2-5
[root at hogranch /root]# rpm -qi rootfiles
Name        : rootfiles                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 5.2                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 5                             Build Date: Sun Mar 21
20:00:32 1999
Install date: Wed Feb 23 13:13:29 2000      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
rootfiles-5.2-5.src.rpm
Size        : 1912                             License: public domain
Packager    : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/>
Summary     : The basic required files for the root user's directory.
Description :
The rootfiles package contains basic required files that are placed
in the root user's account.  These files are basically the same
as the files found in the etcskel package, which are placed in regular
users' home directories.

note the date on that .bashrc file, heh.  13 years ago.