[CentOS] centralized logs server and also storing the logs on the local server

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Sun Nov 9 08:17:09 UTC 2008

Ankush,

--On 9. November 2008 13:27:42 +0530 ankush grover <ankushcentos at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Friends,
>
> I am running most of my company's Linux Servers on Centos 4.x/5.x 32
> and 64-bit. I am now trying to configure a centralized logging server
> where logs of all the linux servers will be stored and also I want to
> store all the logs on the local server aka means logs will be sent to
> the central log server but also will be stored on the local server.
> The reason for storing the logs locally is because we have offices in
> different cities and few more offices are coming up and it is good to
> store the logs locally so that when the connectivity b/w the offices
> break the logs does not get lost. There are lots of configuration
> available on internet which tells how to send the logs to the
> centralized log server but I did not find any configuration where logs
> can be stored locally as well as send to the centralized log.

If you use rsyslog from base repo that is easy to achieve. Rsyslog replaces
syslog; thus you can copy your existing syslog.conf into rsyslog.conf and
just add an enty for sending everything to the central log host
additionally, like e.g.
	*.*	@@your.loghost.tld

On the loghost you switch to rsyslog as well and open it up for remote
logging in /etc/sysconfig/rsyslog (it is documented there). Be aware to
upen up your loghost's local firewall, if you use it.

On of the advantages of using rsyslog is that on the central loghost you
can stuff everything in a mysql database (again additionally to plain log
files) quite easy - that makes automated evaluation of log entries much
more convenient.

> Moreover I am also looking for logs analyzer tool which can generate
> reports separately for each host for ex there are logs of 15 servers
> are stored on the server and this logs analyzer tool should generate
> reports separately for each host.

What exactly do yo want the analyzer to do? The simplest thing would be to
use logwatch on the servers and customize it, but that depends on what kind
of analyzation you have in mind.

Dirk