[CentOS] Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - fstab and grub.conf errors?

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 21:32:43 UTC 2008

> Here's the result of the "mount" command
>
> [centos at localhost ~]$ mount
> /dev/mapper/livecd-rw on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
> /dev/hdc on /mnt/live type iso9660 (ro)
> /dev/hda2 on /mnt/disc/hda2 type ext3 (ro)
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/lvm/VolGroup00-LogVol00 type ext3 (ro)
> sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
> [centos at localhost ~]$
>
> Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
> try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
> Cannot mount selected partition"

When I had this error, it meant that grub could not find the boot
partition itself.  (The boot PROM did, but grub doesn't see the disks
the same way and can get lost.)

Someone just answered earlier in this thread that you need to change
your hd(0,2) to hd(0,1) on the grub boot line.  That should work.  You
don't need to do this from any special rescue boot, just boot the
system, and when the grub stage 2 boot selection shows with its
countdown, stop it (with the space bar) and use the grub shell to edit
that line and it _should_ boot properly.

If WCTW, instead of downloading the CentOS 5 DVD, just pull down the
first CD image and burn that.  It's a lot shorter than the whole DVD,
and it's all you need to get into rescue mode.

HTH

mhr