[CentOS] Reinstalled Windows and GRUB - Cannot boot Linux - SOLVED

Tue Nov 11 01:43:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> Question: Is /hda3 mounted properly? I don't think so, because when I
>> try to boot Linux from the Grub menu on the HD, it gives me "Error 17:
>> Cannot mount selected partition"
>
> When I had this error, it meant that grub could not find the boot
> partition itself.  (The boot PROM did, but grub doesn't see the disks
> the same way and can get lost.)
>
> Someone just answered earlier in this thread that you need to change
> your hd(0,2) to hd(0,1) on the grub boot line.  That should work.  You
> don't need to do this from any special rescue boot, just boot the
> system, and when the grub stage 2 boot selection shows with its
> countdown, stop it (with the space bar) and use the grub shell to edit
> that line and it _should_ boot properly.
>
> If WCTW, instead of downloading the CentOS 5 DVD, just pull down the
> first CD image and burn that.  It's a lot shorter than the whole DVD,
> and it's all you need to get into rescue mode.

All is well now!   :-) I corrected the line in /etc/fstab and I can
see the NTFS partition. As I expected, changing the line in the GRUB
boot menu, as the box was booting, did not survive a reboot. I edited
the lines for the 3 Linux Kernels, in /boot/grub/grub.conf and that
fixed that problem.... I knew I had to edit those files, and what  MHR
(Mark) explained to me tonight, and apparently a poster prior to him,
made it *much* easier. I would like to learn how to do things with the
Live CD, but as it turns out, I did not need that for this problem and
it just added to my frustration. Thanks again, to everyone!