[CentOS] Setting up eth0 with address 0.0.0.0

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 09:44:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 00:11, Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> wrote:
> and it works great, but when I try to configure this permanently via
> ifcfg-eth0 it says:
> Bringing up interface eth0:  connect: Invalid argument
> [  OK  ]
>
> ifcfg-eth0:
> DEVICE=eth0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPADDR=0.0.0.0
> NETMASK=0.0.0.0

Try this in ifcfg-eth0:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPADDR=

Yes, that's an empty IPADDR variable, that is how you should configure
it if you want the interface up but without an IP address. You should
also omit the netmask since it does not make any sense.

By the way, the error you have "connect: Invalid argument" is because
ifup-eth uses arping to broadcast the new IP address to the local
network, but as the interface really has no IP arping will not be able
to send this information and will give you this error. Setting an
empty IPADDR variable makes ifup-eth realise that although the
interface is up, it should have no IP address.

HTH,
Filipe