[CentOS] Autodetecing RAID members upon boot... need to update initrd?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 23:38:03 UTC 2008

On Nov 10, 2008, at 5:13 PM, "Joseph L. Casale" <JCasale at activenetwerx.com
 > wrote:

>> In the future, when upgrading the kernel, will future initrd's be
>> built with my current modules or will I have to manually create new
>> initrd's after each update?
>
> Good question that I would love to know as well. I thought /etc/
> sysconfig/mkinitrd handled
> this, but not ripping apart the srpm of a new kernel, I don’t really
>  know if it bothers doing
> making the initrd.

Last step of the kernel rpm install script is to generate an initrd
file, so as long as your scsi_adapter order in your modprobe.conf is
right your initrds should be right.

If you need a special adapter loaded before the SCSI adapters then
there are preload options that can be set in /etc/sysconfig/initrd.

-Ross