[CentOS] close open relay

Jerry Geis geisj at pagestation.com
Wed Nov 12 22:08:59 UTC 2008

lists-centos wrote:
> sorry, the start page is:
>
>  <http://www.abuse.net/relay.html>
>

> look at the headers of the original messages (probably included as
> attachments) that sbcglobal is sending back. it's very possible that
> a spammer has forged an address from your machine on their outbound
> spam, and sbcglobal is bouncing that, (rather than rejecting,
> because they haven't a clue), generating scatter-back spam.
>

>        - Rick

Sure enough I tried your test and that looks good...

HOwever, when i run this test:
HELO example.com
MAIL From: TheBoss at example.com
RCPT To: geisj at pagestation.com
DATA
Subject: Think we're insecure...
I have a feeling our mail server is being abused...
.
QUIT

and paste that into port 25 of my server (telnet I'm talking)
I get the email and I should not ( I presume) as I am not example.com.

Jerry