[CentOS] Re: Virtual NICs (aliases like eth0:1) won't come up after reboot

Berend Dekens berend at cyberwizzard.nl
Thu Nov 13 15:12:21 UTC 2008

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Could you post the output of: head -20 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*
>
> Cheers
> Tony

[root at hagrid network-scripts]# head -20
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0*
# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=87.233.3.255
HWADDR=00:0C:29:26:D9:E6
IPADDR=87.233.3.247
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=87.233.3.240
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=87.233.3.241
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

And for good measure the dump of our 2nd aliased NIC:
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:2
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.195
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes

Note that I removed the previously added ONBOOT param as I stated before
because according to the docs it was not allowed (and it didn't made any
difference).

Cheers,
Berend