[CentOS] Re: Virtual NICs (aliases like eth0:1) won't come up after reboot

Berend Dekens berend at cyberwizzard.nl
Thu Nov 13 17:42:54 UTC 2008

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Hmmm, in a previous post you said you had multiple aliases and three errors.
> But above, you have only posted one main device and one alias. Are they ones
> that succeed of fail?

Every one of them fails except eth0 itself (which is good or I would
have locked myself out).
> The reason I said to use "head -20" and "ifcfg-eth0*" was that if you used
> that command literally, it would (a) output ALL eth0 aliases, and (b) prepend
> each one automatically with a filename header, assuming there is more than
> one file.

I used the GUI to create the interfaces: the files are not called
'ifcfg-eth0:1' etc but they are named. But I get your point so heres the
full listing:

[root at hagrid ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:1
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.1.1.128
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:2
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.195
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0:3
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=87.233.68.194
BROADCAST=87.233.68.223
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
NETWORK=87.233.68.192
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:4
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.196
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
GATEWAY=87.233.68.193
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0:5
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
IPADDR=87.233.68.197
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
ONPARENT=yes
ONBOOT=yes

# Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST=87.233.3.255
HWADDR=00:0C:29:26:D9:E6
IPADDR=87.233.3.247
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
NETWORK=87.233.3.240
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=87.233.3.241
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes
DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0

# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

I went over the configs a couple of times and the last attempt to
restart one interface using ifup and ifdown did not show that error (and
the interfaces come up) - a full networking restart gives those errors
and once again the aliasses don't come up. Even though the networking
script says [OK] for each interface... I'm confused...

Berend