[CentOS] Re: mapserver experience?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Nov 13 22:37:01 UTC 2008

Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have advice to use this repo:
>
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/EPEL/5/
>
> but I don't understand how to enable it. Usually I would put it into yum.conf
> but it seems yum is reading from yum.conf.d. Do I make a text snippet as a
> file or add this to another repo's file or what? Example welcome.

rpm -Uvh
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora-epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm

will install the EPEL repo file.   (replace /i386/ with your architecture).

WARNING, if you have other repos like rpmforge etc etc, EPEL does NOT
play well with others as they refuse to tag the RPM names and
dependencies with the repo name...   I tend to go into the
/etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo file that installed, and change it to
`enabled=0`, then manually enable it when I want to fetch something from it.

you also probably want to play with yum-priorities.  I'm a little fuzzy
on the specifics here.