[CentOS] Random failures with httpd and ejabberd

Nikita Kipriyanov merlin at rterm.ru
Mon Nov 17 08:26:47 UTC 2008

Hello

Our server runs CentOS 5.2, kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen x86_64, in the
domU under Xen, and dom0 runs same version of OS. The CPU is AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+.

We're experiencing some strange failures with several services, most
notable web service and jabber daemon.

There is Apache/2.2.3, PHP 5.1.6, and phpBB 2.0.14. It is internal
forum, we access it via HTTPS, with client certificates.
There is also other PHP application, which stores sensetive data in the
MySQL database, encrypted with Blowfish.

All is working OK for a while, after that phpBB stops parsing
[code]...[/code] and [quote]...[/quote] bbCode sections (all other
bbCode markups are working). At the same time, Blowfish starts returning
wrong decoding of data.
After the httpd service restart, problems disappear and all works. But,
after a while it breaks again. Probally, it works while there is single
user, and breaks just when someone else accesses the server. I can not
be more precise, at what moment the failure occurs.

Also, ejabberd is working only partially: it randomly loses many
messages in conferences, and sometimes it returns then 'Message can not
be delivered, reason: ""' (I can not say the exact error message, as it
appeared localized).
I also can not set up any message size limits (when they're on, server
simply doesn't start), and can not setup any transports (to ICQ or
other). I undertake an attempt to compile it by myself, but nothing was
changed.

I can not locate any log messages, which are related to this problem.
So, I need help in diagnosing and solving these problems. Even a little
ideas of what the problem's root is will help. If I missed some valuable
information, please, ask for it, I will then provide. I simply don't
know, for which information to look.

And, please, sorry for my awful english.

Nikita