[CentOS] Re: how to debug hardware lockups?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 07:20:27 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:
> on 11-15-2008 3:32 PM John R Pierce spake the following:
>> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> No, the motherboard doesn't support ECC RAM. The motherboard is a
>>> Intel DG35EC -
>>> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DG35EC/DG35EC-overview.htm
>>>

>> midrange business desktop board.     I use a DG33TL as my desktop, same
>> thing.
> It just doesn't pay to run critical systems on desktop hardware. Companies
> think they are saving money, until the downtime eats away any initial savings.

Sure, but it also doesn't pay to purchase a 10Ton truck to move a 1Ton load :)
Bottom line is, you purchase the hardware for the needs that you have.
Not every situation warrents a quad XEON on a blade system. The
problem is, I have another server, with a slower CPU, half the RAM &
a gigabyte motherboard, yet it can handle the same load.

This server runs 4 XEN VPS's, which I moved to the slower machine, and
the slower machines handles the load very well. So, where does the
problem lie? With the "cheap desktop hardware" ? I don't think so.
Rather, I believe there's a hardware problem - i.e. CPU / RAM /
motherboard / PSU?

I have reinstalled the OS (CentOS 5.2), and swapped out the HDD's as
well - so that's not causing the problem.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers