[CentOS] how can I stress a server?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Nov 18 08:24:11 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> John, just cause the machines we use to serve web content to our
> clients doesn't use the grade of equipment you prefer to use, and can
> afford, doesn't mean equipment that other people use is inferior, or
> worthless.

ECC memory would have caught any memory errors, (including memory
timing), and give a diagnostic and we wouldn't be having this
conversation, this system would be in production, and you'd be working
on the next customers job.

oh yeah, those 'server' motherboards generally use registered/buffered
memory, which can handle higher memory fanouts and support a full load
of memory banks robustly.

I meant to suggest the other night, go into the Intel BIOS, find the
memory settings area, and set it to custom timings, and add a clock to
each of the timings, like if its 4-4-4-12, try 5-5-5-15 (or whatever the
have all slots full, this increseas the capacitive load on the address
and data bus, and makes marginal timing more marginal.