[CentOS] kickstart install on SAN with multipath

Matthew Kent matt at bravenet.com
Wed Nov 19 17:09:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 15:06 -0800, nate wrote:
> Using CentOS 5.1, though with a few hours work I could update
> to 5.2.. I can install to SAN with a single path no problem
> but I'd like to be able to use dm-multipath. From the kickstart
> docs it seems this is supported but there is no information
> as to what the various options mean
>
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html
>
> --
>  multipath (optional)
>
>     multipath --name= --device= --rule=
> --

Ah! I just ran through this exact scenario a week ago. Turns out in
inspecting the anaconda code I couldn't actually find any support for
that directive, it looks to be more of a placeholder, but I'm no python
wizard.

What is does support though is auto detecting and creating a simple
multipath.conf, good enough configure lvm with during the install.

This setup can be triggered by passing 'mpath' as a kernel parameter
during kickstart.

Only other thing I had to do was add a bit of %post scripting to tweak
multipath.conf and lvm.conf for our particular drive/controller setup.
--
Matthew Kent \ SA \ bravenet.com