[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at fas.sfu.ca
Fri Nov 21 17:56:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Sorin Srbu wrote:

> So which fs is preferred when, any rule of thumb one should know of? Pointers
> gratefully accepted.
>
> TIA.

A good rule of thumb, for me anyways, is don't mess with the stock distro
unless you absolutely need to, otherwise you're just asking for trouble.
When the decision was made by the USP not to support all these file
systems it was for good reason.  In *most* cases EXT3 works just fine.

In my case it doesn't (medical imaging data/big data) and so I use XFS.
I'm ready to troubleshoot it myself if need be though.

--
James A. Peltier
Systems Analyst (FASNet), VIVARIUM Technical Director
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.fas.sfu.ca | http://vivarium.cs.sfu.ca
MSN     : subatomic_spam at hotmail.com

To make a mistake is human.
To blame it on others... that's management material!