[CentOS] Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Nov 23 17:31:48 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've spent the best part of a sunny afternoon trying to get Skype to
work on my CentOS 5 desktop.

My soundcard seems configured OK.

I can play sounds and hear them OK in my headset:

$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav

I can record speech from my microphone OK:

$ arecord > ~/test.wav

... although I have to say that sound quality seems rather poor. It's
quite fuzzy. Other detail: curiously when I speak into the microphone I
don't hear my own voice in the headset.

I've installed the CentOS RPM from skype.com, but no matter what I do, I
can't seem to have outgoing sound. Whenever I do a test call (echo123),
there's no message left. I've been jumping through burning loops giving
all the options and their possible permutations a shot, to no avail.

Though curiously that thing worked on a Linux Mint 5 install. But then,
I won't change distro because of one small detail.

Any suggestions?

Niki