[CentOS] Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Sun Nov 23 22:17:25 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
> I've spent the best part of a sunny afternoon trying to get Skype to work on
> my CentOS 5 desktop.
<snip>
> I've installed the CentOS RPM from skype.com, but no matter what I do, I
> can't seem to have outgoing sound. Whenever I do a test call (echo123),
> there's no message left. I've been jumping through burning loops giving all
> the options and their possible permutations a shot, to no avail.
>
> Though curiously that thing worked on a Linux Mint 5 install. But then, I
> won't change distro because of one small detail.
>
> Any suggestions?

Niki: Welcome to the club! This is something I have tried to get
working, on my CentOS 5 (32 bit) desktop. William was very kind and he
volunteered to help, but I have other projects, with higher
priorities, ahead of this one now. Great to know that one of the
previous responders has it working AOK. My Sound Card is a Generic,
which uses the snd-cs46xx driver. It's a Cirrus Logic and Skype works
perfectly on M$ Windows, which is the main reason why this is still a
dual boot box. Like yours, my calls to the Skype test robot are all
one way. I can hear her, but she can't hear me. GL! Lanny