[CentOS] USB printer goes into disconnected state when low-power mode enabled

Mark Hull-Richter

mhullrich at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 23:05:50 UTC 2008

I've mentioned this before, here, but with a laser printer connected via
the lp0 port.

I have a new laser printer, a Brother HL2140, that normally works just
fine when installed using the CUPS interface per OpenPrinting's
instructions (with one minor modification I had to add because the base
driver without the CUPS installation did not work.

Every so often, which actually appears to be every time the printer goes
into power-saver mode, when I try to print something, I get this
response in lpstat -t:

[mhr at mhrichter ~]$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for HL2140: usb://Brother/HL-2140 series
device for HPOJ4315: hp:/usb/Officejet_4300_series?serial=CN7AJH318W04GQ
HL2140 accepting requests since Sun 23 Nov 2008 02:38:56 PM PST
HPOJ4315 accepting requests since Sun 07 Sep 2008 12:52:14 AM PDT
printer HL2140 now printing HL2140-2188.  enabled since Sun 23 Nov 2008
02:38:56 PM PST
        Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds...
printer HPOJ4315 is idle.  enabled since Sun 07 Sep 2008 12:52:14 AM PDT
HL2140-2188             root             18432   Sun 23 Nov 2008
02:38:56 PM PST

At one point, through some strange combination of:

System->Administration->Printers
Disable the printer
cancel the print job (sometimes)
disconnect the printer (USB cable out)
power down the printer
power the printer back on and wait for it to come ready
reconnect the printer
re-enable the printer

liberally sprinkled with 30 second waits, I used to be able to get the
printer to come back on line and print.

Now I can't seem to get the <censored> thing to come back at all.

Any suggestions on what to do to make this work?  I suppose I could
reboot, but that _really_ defeats the purpose of using a USB printer in
the first place.

FTR, I also have an HP OfficeJet 4315 on a USB connection to the same
system, and I _never_ have this problem with it.

I'm running CentOS 5.2 x86_64 with all the latest updates, using the
printer drivers from the OpenPrinting online database:

brhl2140lpr-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm
cupswrapperHL2140-2.0.2-1.i386.rpm

Stumped.

mhr