[CentOS] Skype vs. CentOS: no outgoing sound

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:45:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 00:02:21 +0100
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> Rob Townley a écrit :
> >>

> > Don't use skype, but r u sure your firewall is not blocking
> > outgoing sound?
>
> Funny, I never gave that a thought. Any idea which port I would
> have to open?
>
> Niki

Have you made sure that your mic is set to capture sound via
alsamixer?

Run alsamixer in a terminal and hit tab to get to capture devices.
Then have a gander at what is selected. You need to make sure your
mic is selected as the capture device. Otherwise, it may have
defaulted to something other than your mic. On my system it chooses
the first CD-ROM for the capture device for some reason.

Also, make sure that you have mic boost on as well. You can mute
the mic in the Playback section as well so you don't hear your own
voice as well. When you run the skype test call you should bear
better results.

HTH

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com