[CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Wed Nov 26 15:19:33 UTC 2008

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Ray Leventhal <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:50 PM:
>

>> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
>> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
>> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>>

> Try a yum clean all. That might help. But if it's as you say, not connected to
> the internet, you probably are not running yum at all, so it might not help.
> Check your temp-directories and clean out as necessary.
>
> You still have 1gig free. Did you do a full install? If you can live with it,
> uninstall packages you don't need.

Hi Sorin,

It was a nearly-full install and I do connect periodically to do
updates.  I did a yum clean all before writing to the list, with no
significant change to the disk usage.

I will list packages next and see what can be removed safely.  I truly
don't know what is filling the 130G...this should be more than
sufficient as I've loaded CentOS5.x on many systems without this issue.

Thanks again for your input,
-Ray