[CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 26 15:20:18 UTC 2008

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please pardon my newbie-ness on this issue....I've a / partition which
> is full (quite suddenly, actually) and I'm not sure how to fix this.
>
> I've searched for uneeded logs, etc in /var/log and /tmp to no avail.
> The system is CentOS 5.2 and is not connected to the internet, serves
> as a local LAN server running stock stuff...sendmail, dovecot,
> apache..nothing strange or special going on.
>
> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Ray
>

> My layout is:
>
> #df -h
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                      131G  130G     0 100% /
> /dev/sdc1             271G  156G  102G  61% /home
> /dev/sdd1             271G  4.5G  253G   2% /home/905
> /dev/sda1              99M   29M   66M  31% /boot
> tmpfs                 442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm
>

> # cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3
> defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/home/905         /home/905               ext3
> defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs
> defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs
> defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0
>

> # cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sdd1 /home/905 ext3 rw 0 0
> /dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
> none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
> sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

I'm working myself out of one those unhappy situations right now.  The
way I always start is to pick some arbitrary value of file size, larger
than which there will (or should) be a very small number of files and then:
# find / -size +2G -print
...which will present me with a list of candidates for removal.