[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Wed Nov 26 23:24:20 UTC 2008

Am 26.11.2008 um 18:55 schrieb Karanbir Singh:

> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> It doesn't make sense not to care about such things as they have real
>> bearing on the viability of a product/project.  And customer
>> satisfaction does mean something.   I do care about such things (they
>> are not the ONLY things) and they are reasons *to use* Open Source
>> and,
>> particularly, CentOS.
>
> I fail to see you logic, please elaborate on that. Why should I care
> what 5 other people are running when I get a better bang for my buck
> with a technology I use, costs less and provides me a means to
> contribute back into the community pool.
>
>> You use the VIC client, which does not require the VIC server but can
>> connect directly to any ESX/ESXi host.  After you install ESXi you
>> navigate to the box with a web browser and there is a link to
>> download
>> VIC directly from the host.
>
> yes, but there is technology shortcomings there, it requires me to
> invest in Windows as a base OS, which in turn means a lot of other
> legal and vendor lock in issues.

Agreed - I hate the fact the the VIC only runs on Windows.
There is AFAIK, an experimental GUI from a 3rd-party using Adobe AIR -
but even without trying it (AIR doesn't run on my 64bit desktop
anyway...) I hesitate to call this a "solution"....
;-)
VMware is very Windows-centric. They do know that they have a customer-
base that in part absolutely hates this - but from what I read on the
forums, it's not an immediate concern to them.
And above all, the stupid VIC is slow as a snail.

Rainer